Buying Sex Toys – beginners guide
Australia’s top online adult shop, the Adult Sex Store, stocks a large range of sex toys online.
Our product range includes vibrators, strap-ons, dildos, fetish toys, cock rings, anal toys, penis pumps, sex novelties, sexy costumes, lubes, lotions, lingerie and more!
If you’re a first time buyer of adult toys, please take your time exploring our site, read our helpful sex toy reviews and ‘how to’ articles which describe what many of our pleasure toys do and can help you decide what toys are right for beginners. Online sex shops are a great way to look at and read about things that might otherwise feel a bit taboo!
What type of sex toy are you looking for?
We think there are three key questions to ask yourself to narrow down your search:
- Where you want to use the toy on the body? There are specialised toys for masturbation, nipple stimulation, prostate play and even vibrators that you can wear on your tongue during oral sex! Dual stimulator vibrators offer g-spot and clitoral stimulation at the same time, but aren’t that great for use elswhere on the body, whereas many wand style vibrators are versatile tools that can be used all over. We talk more below about specific types of sex toys that will meet all these needs.
- What kind of stimulation are you looking for? A toy for foreplay and arousal, or a toy that is specifically for bringing you to climax? There are many beautiful sex toys that add spice and visual appeal to your sex life (e.g. a jewelled butt plug, a beautiful glass dildo), but which aren’t designed to assist with climax, and there are many more that will do just that – there are motorised and non-motorised toys for male climax (e.g. robotic masturbators, or love dolls) and likewise for female climax (e.g. clitoral pumps or intense Rabbit vibrators).
- What accessories do you need for your play? Toy cleaner is a must, it applies antibacterial cleansers to the surface of your toy that help to kill germs before you wash the toy. You might also want to use condoms on your sex toys to keep them extra clean (a new condom each time is a must if you’re sharing a toy!). You’ll need the right kind of lubricant depending on where you’re using your toy. Anal lube is especially thick and long lasting and may be silicone based (which should NOT be used with silicone sex toys) or water based. General water based lubricants are great for men or women for generel bedroom play or solo use with sex toys, however men sometimes prefer thicker masturbation lubricants for intense solo pleasuring! Other frequently used accessories are cock rings, or prolonging gels or creams for stronger erections and sexy additions like blindfolds or handcuffs.
So! Now that you’ve answered those three questions for yourself you’re almost ready to visit our online sex store. To help you browse our categories, we have provided a short definition for the main types of adult toys we stock in the section below.
Sex toys for Men
There are a whole range of pleasure toys for men that stimulate internally and externally from the prostate to the penis. Our wide range of male sex toys includes:
- Love dolls – these range from simple blow up novelties to top shelf realistic ‘cyber skin’ dolls that offer the most realistic sexual experience possible with a toy.
- Masturbators and strokers – these are basically soft pliable sleeves used for mastubation. They are available as sleeves only, and the more sophisticated options include motorised toys.
- Cock rings – these are soft rings used for placing around the base of the penis, penis and scrotum, during sex. They can prolong sexual activity and deliver more intense orgasms.
- Penis enhancing sheaths or cages – these are soft or semi-rigid sleeves that fit over the penis and are designed to provide additional length, girth and protection to the penis. Depending on how thick or rigid the sleeve is, they may assist with lasting longer by dulling the sensation of penetration slightly. Many have vibrating attachments that heighten sensation further.
- Anal toys – we have a section for anal toys that includes plugs, anal vibrators and hygiene accessories. Many of these tools have been designed with men and gay men specifically.
- Prostate massagers – there are a wide range of vibrating and non-vibrating prostate massagers available. These are specially curved toys designed to fit inside the bottom with a tilted tip that will stimulate the prostate gland directly for enhanced climax.
- Lubricants and lotions – we have a wide range of lubes and lotions just for men. There are thick, long lasting masturbation creams, thick anal lubes for male anal play and prolonging creams and gels that assist with desensitizing the penis to enable longer lasting sex.
There is a whole section of the shop dedicated to Fleshlight toys because they are undoubtedly the most popular male brand in the market designed specifically for the enduringly popular male past time – masturbation!
Sex toys for Women
Women’s sex toys (sorry boys!) have always offered a bit more variety than men’s. This is largely thanks to women having extra erogenous zones that manufacturers can create for, and traditionally, the practice of erotic play with sex toys has (rightly or wrongly) been more focused on women as the ‘sex object’. The earliest sex toys weren’t cock rings and Fleshlights, they were dildos and geisha balls!
- Vibrators – classic, clitoral, g-spot and multi-stimulation (think Rabbit style). We have literally hundreds of vibrators in stock that target every area of your secret garden!
- Nipple toys – clamps, pasties, vibrating clamps and small bullet vibrators
- Strap on toys – harnesses with strap-on dongs for use with male or female partners, these aren’t solely female toys, but are mostly made for women to wear for use on a partner.
- Anal toys – because women’s bottoms are a little more petite, we have a special section of the store just for anal toys for women. There are many smaller, ‘prettier’ anal toys listed there that are ideal for women, or anyone who is a first timer to anal play.
- Dual penetration toys – these are designed to penetrate the vagina and anus at the same time, there are even ‘triple rider’ toys that will also stimulate the clitoris as well.
Women also enjoy much more variety in the lingerie department, there are literally thousands of designs in store and more keep coming every month as old designs are decommissioned. Manufacturers like Seven ‘Til Midnight and Baci know that to keep things interesting in the bedroom lingerie ‘wardrobe changes’ are required frequently and never fail to disappoint with their sexy designs.
Sex toys for Couples
Almost any toy can be played with alone or in a couples setting however there are some toys that are more specifically for couples.
- Bondage kits are one very obvious example, these often include an eye mask, crop or whip, ties to bind wrists and/or ankles and perhaps a stimulator like a massage toy, a set of ben wa balls or maybe a vibrator.
- Couples wearable vibrators – A whole new category of vibrator is emerging for couples and the designs are becoming more and more innovative. Basically, these are vibrators that are designed to be worn by a man or a woman during sex . The simplest version of this would be a vibrating cock ring or cage, but there are much more sophisticated options. The we-vibe range is probably the most well known couples vibrator, but there are other options like the extremely technical Fleshlight Kiroo for couples which is a device that can actually transmit the sensations you are both generating on your independent male and female units to each other anywhere in the world. Also the extremely luxe LELO tiani 24k, which is similar to the we-vibe but offers sleeker looks, actual 24 karat gold hardware, amazing customer guarantees and deep, sensual rumbling vibrations from an absolutely top of the range motor.
- Romance and seduction – we have a range of scented lotions, massage kits and accessories for the perfect romantic night in!
Browse our couples section which includes toys, romance and seduction items and games all designed to help you make better love!
Not just for sex. Other reasons people buy sex toys
Sometimes people shop at online sex stores not just for sexual stimulation, but because they have a particular sexual performance concern they want to address and can only find the right products to help at sex stores. The most common concerns for men tend to be stamina and the ability to maintain erections, whereas for women it’s pelvic floor function and having a toned vagina (a particular issue after childbirth) which can aid with sexual pleasure for both partners and improved orgasms for her. And some people have physical therapy needs that might cause them to seek out sex toys for physical rehabilitation – kegel exercisers for the female pelvic floor, penis pumps for rehabilitating male performance after surgery or illness or use of nipple toys to stimulate the breasts after surgery are all therapeutic reasons why people might buy adult toys.
[new_products per_page=”8″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=“desc”]