Buying Sex Toys – beginners guide
Australia’s top online adult shop, the Adult Sex Store, stocks one of the largest range of sex toys online.
Our product range includes the most popular adult toys including vibrators, strap-ons, dildos and dongs, penis rings, anal toys, penis pumps, sex novelties, sexy costumes, lubes, lotions, lingerie and more!
If you’re a first time buyer of adult toys, please take your time exploring our site, read our helpful sex toy reviews and ‘how to’ articles which describe what many of our pleasure toys do and can help you decide what toys are right for beginners.
What type of sex toy are you looking for?
Well, firstly, what kind of stimulation are you looking for? A feather to tickle and tease or something to insert for internal stimulation? clitoral or glans stimulation? Vibrations or not?
Vibrations feel good on the skin as they increase blood flow and sensitivity in the area they’re applied to – whether it be your neck, his area between the bum and balls, or your clitoris. However some people find the vibrations of sex toys too intense. You don’t always need to turn the toy on, but why pay for something you’re not using?
Another consideration is where you want to use the toy on the body.
Most toys can be used on the outside, vibrating or not, for massaging, gently slapping or stimulating erogenous zones.
For penetration however (and let’s face it, most sex play usually comes down to penetration!) you need to buy the right toy for your purposes. For example, not all toys are safe to put in your bottom – they can be ‘sucked in’ there accidentally depending on their size and shape, so you need to look for toys with retrieval mechanisms or that you can keep a safe grip on so this doesn’t happen.
You also need to consider the right kinds of accessories for your play.
Toy cleaner is a must, it applies antibacterial cleansers to the surface of your toy that help to kill germs before you wash the toy.
You might also want to use condoms on your sex toys to keep them extra clean (a new condom each time is a must if you’re sharing a toy!).
You’ll need the right kind of lubricant depending on where you’re using your toy. Anal lube for example, is especially thick and long lasting as that area produces no natural lubrication and is delicate, so needs plenty of thick lube to avoid injuries. Water based lubricants are important for use with silicone toys because using silicone lube can ‘melt’ the surface and make it feel sticky. As most thick anal lubes are silicone, you’ll need to look for a specifically designed water based anal lubricant if you’re using silicone toys there.
Other things you might want to consider are whether you want to use a cock ring or penis ring, or prolonging gels or creams – naughty play with all sorts of kinky toys might send you over the edge sooner than you want so a ring or a mild desensitizing cream can help to prolong your play!
Sex toys for Men
There are a whole range of pleasure toys for men that stimulate internally and externally from the prostate to the penis. Our wide range of male sex toys includes:
- Love dolls – these range from simple blow up novelties to top shelf realistic ‘cyber skin’ dolls that offer the most realistic sexual experience possible with a toy.
- Masturbators and strokers – these are basically soft pliable sleeves used for mastubation. They are available as sleeves only, or come encased in hard outer casings which create pressure and suction on the sleeve as you use it.
- Cock rings – these are used for placing around the base of the penis, or around the penis and testes, during sex and can prolong sexual activity and deliver more intense orgasms. They may also assist with maintaining erections by supporting retention of bloodflow in the penis.
- Penis enhancing sheaths or cages – these are soft or semi-rigid sleeves that fit over the penis and are designed to provide additional length, girth and protection to the penis. Depending on how thick or rigid the sleeve is, they may assist with lasting longer by dulling the sensation of penetration slightly. Some options offer maximum sensation (e.g. open cages) but offer support and additional girth or sensation for your partner. Many have vibrating attachments that heighten sensation further.
- Prostate massagers – there are a wide range of vibrating and non-vibrating prostate massagers available. These are specially curved toys designed to fit inside the bottom with a tilted tip that will stimulate the prostate gland directly for enhanced climax.
- Lubricants and lotions – we have a wide range of lubes and lotions just for men. There are thick, long lasting masturbation creams, thick anal lubes for male anal play and prolonging creams and gels that assist with desensitizing the penis to enable longer lasting sex.
There is a whole section of the shop dedicated to Fleshlight toys because they are undoubtedly the most popular male brand in the market. To date there isn’t very much that can beat the softness of their patented superskin material, and their range of collaborations with all your favourite porn stars. The realistic experience with Fleshlight because of both these factors is hard to beat. However, more and more competitors are emerging with innovations on the original Fleshlight theme and offer interesting alternative experiences. For example, the sucking, rotating, thrusting action of the Pipedream Extreme Mega-bator offers a similar encased masturbation sleeve, but adds light, futuristic looks and movement to shake things up!
The other main category of toys for men are for stimulation of the prostate. Anal vibrators, dildos and prostate stimulating plugs are pretty standard fare and come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. The Anal Fantasy range is ever popular, offering beads, plugs and vibrating toys. A newer range bringing more variety to this sub-category is the Fantasy C-Ringz range. Their dual cock-ring prostate/anal vibrator toys like the Rock hard ass-gasm are becoming very popular.
Sex toys for Women
Women’s toys (sorry boys!) have always offered a bit more variety than men’s. This is largely thanks to women having extra erogenous zones that manufacturers can create for, and traditionally, the practice of erotic play with sex toys has (rightly or wrongly) been more focused on women as the ‘sex object’. The earliest sex toys weren’t cock rings and Fleshlights, they were dildos and geisha balls! There are a huge variety of vibrators available for women targeting specific erogenous zones – the vagina, clitoris and g-spot all get their own special toys – there are even vibrating nipple clamps and lots of more ‘female friendly’ looking anal vibrators and dildos. The main categories of female sex toys can be characerised as follows:
- vibrators – classic, clitoral, g-spot and multi-stimulation (think Rabbit style). We have literally hundreds of vibrators in stock that target every area of your secret garden!
- nipple toys – clamps, pasties, vibrating clamps and small bullet vibrators
- strap on toys – harnesses with strap-on dongs for use with male or female partners
- anal toys – these aren’t unique to women, however there are many smaller, ‘prettier’ anal toys listed in our female anal toys category that are more suitable for women
- multi-penetration toys – toys that are designed to penetrate the vagina and anus at the same time, some even have extra attachments to stimulate the clitoris at the same time
Women also enjoy much more variety in the lingerie department, there are literally thousands of designs in store and more keep coming every month as old designs are decommissioned. Manufacturers like Seven ‘Til Midnight and Baci know that to keep things interesting in the bedroom lingerie ‘wardrobe changes’ are required frequently and never fail to disappoint with their sexy designs.
Sex toys for Couples
Almost any toy can be played with alone or in a couples setting however there are some toys that are more specifically for couples.
- Bondage kits are one very obvious example, these often include an eye mask, crop or whip, ties to bind wrists and/or ankles and perhaps a stimulator like a massage toy, a set of ben wa balls or maybe a vibrator.
- Couples wearable vibrators – A whole new category of vibrator is emerging for couples and the designs are becoming more and more innovative. Basically, these are vibrators that are designed to be worn by a man or a woman during sex . The simplest version of this would be a vibrating cock ring or cage, but there are much more sophisticated options. The we-vibe range is probably the most well known couples vibrator, but there are other options like the extremely technical Fleshlight Kiroo for couples which is a device that can actually transmit the sensations you are both generating on your independent male and female units to each other anywhere in the world. Also the extremely luxe LELO tiani 24k, which is similar to the we-vibe but offers sleeker looks, actual 24 karat gold hardware, amazing customer guarantees and deep, sensual rumbling vibrations from an absolutely top of the range motor.
- Romance and seduction – we have a range of scented lotions, massage kits and accessories for the perfect romantic night in!
Browse our couples section which includes toys, romance and seduction items and games all designed to help you make better love!
Not just for sex. Other reasons people buy sex toys
Sometimes people shop at online sex stores not just for sexual stimulation, but because they have a particular sexual performance concern they want to address and can only find the right products to help at sex stores. The most common concerns for men tend to be stamina and the ability to maintain erections, whereas for women it’s pelvic floor function and having a toned vagina (a particular issue after childbirth) which can aid with sexual pleasure for both partners and improved orgasms for her
Exercising Your Pelvic Floor
Sexual health is equally important to general health and happiness as much as diet and exercising. A satisfying sex life doesn’t always just happen, it can take some effort and practice. This can be especially true for women after childbirth when pelvic floor muscles are a bit weaker and hormone fluctuations can change your arousal patterns and natural lubrication levels. Your Pelvic Floor supports your internal organs, but the main PC muscles in your pelvic floor also have a different function, they are the muscle that is responsible for the contractions you feel during orgasm. We have numerous products to help tone and strengthen these muscles and are a great toy to help build on a more intense orgasm. Kegel (also known as ‘geisha’ or ‘ben wa’ balls) are weighted balls that you practice holding inside to strengthen the pelvic floor. They can’t really fall out, so you can wear them without fear of being discovered, and allow you to practice tightening and releasing the muscles that support orgasm. There are also a range of ‘tightening’ and firming creams that offer a temporary sensation of tightness in the skin of the vagina (not unlike what ‘lifting’ face creams do), to help with self-consciousness you might feel about vaginal tone.
Male sexual performance enhancement
The pressure to perform like a pro is probably the male equivalent of the pressure on women to look sexy all the time – it can induce more anxiety than is necessary in any man. There are genuine conditions like erectile dysfunction than can benefit from use of Penis Pumps or other support toys (like cock cages or sheaths), but a lot of male performance anxiety just comes down to putting pressure on yourself to meet your own or your partners expectations. One of the easiest ways to build confidence is to practice, practice, practice! It’s almost a cliche, but using visualization techniques or other physical stop-start-change techniques to delay climax work well. Toys like the Fleshlight or other realistic female anatomy love dolls allow you to practice and hone your technique and build your confidence before being with your partner for real. For a more physical solution to performance anxiety, there is always the option of using thick condoms to reduce sensation or a numbing or ‘delay’ cream that slightly and temporarily desensitizes the penis so that it takes longer to build up the level of nervous stimulation required to climax.
Conclusion On Choosing A Sex Toy
When it comes to choosing a sex toy, the number 1 rule is to simply HAVE FUN and to experiment safely. There are literally hundreds of ways to enjoy using sex toys so there is no rush to jump in the deep end straight away. Take your time, try different sexual positions, speeds, toys and before you know it your solo and lovemaking will be sent into overdrive.
[new_products per_page=”8″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]