Seems simple right? But making sure that you wear a cock ring comfortably and correctly is a must for your enjoyment.
Using these simple male sex aids can turn from pleasure to pain pretty quickly if you don’t use them correctly.
First up, what is a cock ring? Well, it’s a ring you put around your cock! It is placed at the base of the penis. Some have additional straps that loop around your scrotum. The ring is placed on a flaccid or semi-flaccid penis (i.e. before you get hard).
Second up, what is a cock ring for? The purpose of a cock ring is to temporarily restrict the flow of blood back out of the penis. And since it is increased blood flow to the penis that causes it to become and stay erect, having more blood in there for longer = longer, harder erections!
Cock rings are a favorite couples sex toy as they can give you longer harder erections for prolonged lovemaking, they delay male orgasm (and make climax more intense) and many come with an additional vibration that can greatly assist with your partner’s orgasm. We’ll take you through using a cock ring step by step below.
How to wear a cock ring
Cock rings are either soft and stretchy or solid (usually metal or hard rubber). If you’re new to using cock rings, try a softer silicone or soft rubber version for your first time, rather than a metal one, for a more comfortable fit.
You can place the ring around the base of the penis only, or stretch it around your balls too. This is really a matter of personal choice and comfort. For first-timers, we’d recommend trying it only around the base of the penis first as this won’t feel quite as tight or intense.
Using a vibrating cock ring
Vibrating cock rings are extremely popular with couples. They’re a great introduction to sex toys because they are small, don’t get in the way and offer hands-free pleasure to both of you. Plus they’re generally less expensive than vibrators or other kinds of adult toys. The Inmi vibrating ring (pictured right) has an extra stimulating panel, and the affordable Firefly couples ring has a bullet that lays lengthways along the penis. For a more streamlined option, the Pivot vibrating couples ring by We-Vibe is a sleek product made from silky soft silicone, but it is at the upper end of the price range for this kind of toy.
A vibrating cock ring is used exactly the same way as a simple cock ring, you can place it around your penis only, or also the scrotum. Make sure that the vibrating bit is positioned on top of the penis so that when you enter your partner the vibrations are next to her clitoris. If your partner finds it difficult to achieve orgasm through penetration alone, this could offer the extra stimulation she needs.
Choosing the right size ring
We recommended above using a soft cock ring for your first time. This is because you don’t need to worry so much about the precise measurement required. Using the right size cock ring to get just enough constriction to help maintain your erection without feeling so tight that it becomes painful is very important.
It is normal when wearing a cock ring for the skin to look a little darker and the penis to feel a little tight, but if you notice any strange discoloration, swelling or bulging, remove the ring immediately and use a larger size next time.
If you’re buying a cock ring that doesn’t stretch, you should measure your penis girth precisely in advance and divide the number by 3.14 to get the diameter (e.g. 5.5 inches girth / 3.14 = 1.75-inch diameter). Most cock rings are sold by diameter and only vary by a few millimetres in size, so a precise measurement is very important if you’re using a hard rubber or metal ring. The XACT fit range is a good option if you’re not sure whether to go up or down a millimetre or two. XACT fit rings come in multipacks and vary in size by just a millimetre or two so that you can get really precise about the best fit for you.
Using cock rings safely
Just a few final words on cock rings to make sure that your play is safe and enjoyable:
- Use lubricant – sliding a cock ring on and off is much easier with a good quality lube.
- Start slowly – if you haven’t used a cock ring before using it for just a few minutes at a time and stop at any point that things get uncomfortable. It should feel tight but not sore.
- Never ignore discomfort – this usually means the ring is too tight. You may struggle to slip a too tight ring off once erect. Look for visual signs of tightness like dark red or blue coloring, obvious digging into the base of the penis or a very ‘stretched’ look to the penis. These are all signs that your ring might be too tight.
- Always remove your cock ring – don’t fall asleep with a cock ring on and don’t use for prolonged wear. The general recommendation is that 20 to 30 minutes at a time is sufficient. Then remove it and allow the blood to flow freely for a while.
- Remove your ring when flaccid – unless you’re removing it for comfort reasons while still erect, it’s generally a good idea to remove the ring when soft/semi-soft, as this is much easier.
We have more than 200 kinds of cock rings in our online store, so you’re sure to find the right model and fit for you!